ISSN: 1899-0967
Polish Journal of Radiology
Established by prof. Zygmunt Grudziński in 1926 Sun
Current issue Archive About the journal Editorial board Abstracting and indexing Contact Instructions for authors Ethical standards and procedures
SCImago Journal & Country Rank


 
1/2020
vol. 85
 
Share:
Share:
more
 
 
Breast radiology
abstract:
Original paper

How can additional ultrasonography screening improve the detection of occult breast cancer in women with dense breasts?

Parisa Pishdad
1, 2
,
Ameneh Moosavi
2
,
Reza Jalli
1, 2
,
Fariba Zarei
1, 2
,
Mahdi Saeedi-Moghadam
1
,
Banafsheh Zeinali-Rafsanjani
1, 3

1.
Medical Imaging Research Center, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
2.
Department of Radiology, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
3.
Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging Research Center, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Pol J Radiol 2020; 85: e353-e360
Online publish date: 2020/07/13
View full text
Get citation
ENW
EndNote
BIB
JabRef, Mendeley
RIS
Papers, Reference Manager, RefWorks, Zotero
AMA
APA
Chicago
Harvard
MLA
Vancouver
 
Introduction
Although mammography is a gold standard for breast cancer screening, the number of cancers that cannot be detected with mammography is substantial, especially in dense-breast (DB) women. Breast sonography can be a useful and powerful screening tool in these cases. The aim of this study is to assess the application of whole-breast sonography in the evaluation of breast lesions in women with DB tissue and estimate its accuracy in comparison with mammography.

Material and methods
A total of 207 asymptomatic DB women participated in this study. The breast tissue density was assessed using ACR BI-RADS. Patients underwent high-resolution ultrasonography of the breast in addition to physical examination and mammography. Different risk factors were also assessed.

Results
152 of 207 (73.4%) cases who had mammography performed had DB, and 55 (26.6%) cases had very dense breasts (very DBs). None of the cases had a positive history of malignancy, while 19% of them had a positive history of breast cancer in first- or second-degree relatives.

Conclusions
All findings were higher in cases with DB compared to very DBs except for fibroadenoma, which was detected more in cases with very DBs. Our study showed that the prevalence of different breast lesions had a significant relationship with the density of the breast. In our study, 48.3% of the cases were diagnosed with a lesion in their sonography result, although 81.0% of them were benign lesions, and the other 19.0% needed follow-up or biopsy evaluation. A substantial number of mammographically occult breast lesions, either benign or malignant, could be detected by ultrasound in DB tissue.

keywords:

ultrasonography screening, occult breast cancer, risk factors

 
Quick links
© 2020 Termedia Sp. z o.o. All rights reserved.
Developed by Bentus.
PayU - płatności internetowe